Finished What We Started

Some of you will already know this. And for those of you who do not, I am pleased to share we finished what we started. Yesterday was a much longer day than I anticipated. Not sure of exact time. We started at approximately 5:40 a.m. and finished the day shortly after Noon. The course was beautiful; orange groves with a mixture of up-and-down dirt trails and asphalt. If you can do this course, you are prepared for almost any event. It was likely the most challenging I have ever worked at any distance in over 30 years of participating in events.

Some things to share about yesterday:

Riverside Road Runners and their volunteers were great!! Thank you Moe, and all who worked with you for so generously accommodating my needs. You all stayed with us right to the end. I understand there was quite a delegation of law enforcement personnel, Explorer Scouts and others who followed us in. Moe even came out to stay with all of us for the last mile or so. She had the finishers’ bling in her hand. No. She did not let me have it until crossing the finish mat. There was food waiting to begin rebuilding energy.

Thank you to my support crew; Nicole Holt, Sky Holt, Head Kahuna…AKA…Dr. Marrs, Kim Marrs, Bob and Maria Gill, Laura Johnson. You all were amazing!! There’s no way the day would have been gotten through without you. Thank you for your encouragement and patience. You all made doing the difficult as easy as it could be made. You made a long day that started with a 3 a.m. get-out-of-bed so much fun!! I’m so proud of you all.

And to Nicole…Thank you for having us all so organized and the day so well thought out. You did it all just right. You’re on my team for life!!

I feel good about the way I trained/prepared. Can honestly say I was never tired the entire day. My conditioning was great. As I had hoped, we were laughing and telling jokes the entire day. I’m very happy with what was accomplished. Dylan and Linda…We did it!! We finished what we started!! But ankle and hamstring spasms were not my friends. They took their toll. They made a slow, measured pace even slower. The course was not easy. My guess is a combination of two kinds of spasms, spasms caused by the C P and “Life spasms”, as Dr. Weatherwax…AKA…Fearless Leader always calls them, compromised my balance in the latter miles. My right ankle and hamstrings in both legs were not happy. The spasms were painful. Had the decision been left to the ankle and hamstrings, I would have spent time on the ground. But my support team made sure I stayed upright, moving and safe. They made this day and its success their own. Other than more core/strength/balance work, I don’t think I could have prepared any better. Thank you, Fearless Leader, for all you shared/ taught me about how to train effectively. Perhaps you, Dr. Marrs and others will have suggestions of things to incorporate into my routine both for running and for life.

Thank you, Warrendini, for coming from Florida to be part of this weekend and run the race. You go home tomorrow. I miss you already.

Thank you to all who cheered us on whether in person or in spirit.

Thanks to everyone who joined us for the post-race breakfast/lunch. My bacon craving was well satisfied. And Cheryl enjoyed chicken fingers and fries in Dylan’s honor.

This was also Disney Marathon Weekend in Orlando. Congratulations to my friend, Bruce Hahn. He completed his first half-marathon. Maybe running will improve your golf game!! Proud of you and all others who participated in the event(s) of their choice.

There was an article in yesterday’s Press Enterprise about the race, Gary’s Project, my friend Dylan, and his mother, Linda. Thank you Diane Rhodes. Have already be contacted about speaking/doing a presentation January, 21 at First Christian Church in Hemet. Will be happy to share a link to the story for anyone who is interested.

Thank you, Cheryl, for letting me be me and take on the difficult one more time. You are my biggest cheer leader and supporter. You tell me you are proud of me and that you love me every day. I’m proud of you and I love you too.

Finally, thank you, Dylan and Linda Henke for the inspiration to see this through. “Uncle Gary” and Cheryl are hoping to see you soon.

What’s next?? We’ll see. There’s much to do to keep life rewarding and interesting, including Gary’s Project. I’ll continue to be at Gibbel Park, Wednesday mornings, 6:30 a.m. for anyone who wants to join me. I’ll bother Laura at the gym when doing core/strength/balance work. I’ll continue to train, keep moving and see Dr. Marrs, Nicole and staff regularly. Even if I’m not preparing for a race, all of this is needed in order to keep the world’s oldest preteen living life at the level he desires. Maybe there will be more speaking opportunities and community events to do. Cheryl is certain to have some travel plans in mind. As already mentioned, we want to see Dylan and Linda. I’m sure to find some races to run. Whatever is to be, can’t wait to see what the next life journeys will be. Bring it on!! It’s all about living!! Will continue to keep you posted. I’m just sayin’. Yeah, baby!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s